One of the priorities of the Hilo Orchid Society is to extend the knowledge, production, use and appreciation of orchids. As of May 12, 2013, there are two scholarships being offered for University of Hawaii junior, senior, and graduate students studying tropical agriculture or a related field. Each recipient will be awarded a $1000 scholarship (grant) for each semester (fall and spring) of the academic year, provided they maintain their eligibility (see below). They will also receive a free one-year membership in the Hilo Orchid Society. For complete information please contact the University's Financial Aid Office.
1) Be upper division or graduate students
2) Have a GPA of at least 2.8.
3) Be majoring in Agriculture or a related field (e.g., Biology, Environmental Science) with a preference given to orchid horticulture
4) Express intent to remain in Hawai'i after graduation
5) Demonstrate financial need, as determined by the UH Financial Aid Office
Recipients will be expected to attend one of the monthly meetings of the Hilo Orchid Society in September, October or November to be recognized by the HOS and to introduce themselves to the society with a brief personal statement regarding their background, major and post-graduation plans. Recipients will also be asked to attend one of the monthly meetings during the second semester to present the society with a progress presentation.
Applicants will submit:
1) A completed application form, including contact information
2) A one-page personal statement to include
a) Biographical background
b) Course of study and how it will benefit the agriculture industry in the State of Hawai'i
c) Post-graduate plans
d) Personal verification of financial aid
3) Two letters of recommendation, one personal and one academic
Deadline date and application forms must be obtained from the UHH Financial Aid Office.